Sunday, May 10, 2009

Not much for "Mothers Day"

I think I celebrate holidays more out of tradition than anything else. Anymore it doesn't make much sense. We do what we do because we have chosen to do it. We are tied to our primal instincts. I think we're more tied to our bioligical make up than we'd care to admit. There's a hormonal drive to reproduce weather man or woman. On a base level women are the child bearers and nurturers. Men are the providers and protectors. At least that's the way it's supposed to work. Does either job raise one parent above the other? And what about the children raised by a grandparent or aunt or the children in foster care? What about them?
No I'm more apt to show my respect for another by the actions I do on a daily basis. I bought you your favorite ice cream. I did the dishes even the ones with baked on greese. I rented that movie you wanted to see for such a long time. I helped your relatives out of a jam. Because if you add it all up it comes out to something far greater than buying some cheezy card or being stupid enough to buy mom a new vacuum cleaner.
But the greatest gift a child can give a parent is for them to be happy and sucessful. Nothing gives mom more pleasure than to say my son/daughter is happy as a (fill in the blank) because she knows that she had a big part in what they became.

Teach your children well moms...

5 comments:

Tom Harper said...

What are you, un-American or something? You're supposed to do your patriotic duty to Hallmark on this sacred day. Get out there right now and Buy Something :)

BBC said...

Helen could care less about any of that, I did take her for a ride this afternoon and she really enjoyed it.

There's a hormonal drive to reproduce weather man or woman...

Generally speaking, but I was never hyped on having kids, just liked sex. Thumbs up on the pill.

BBC said...

I haven't heard of Cranberry lake, now I wonder where it is.

BBC said...

Oh, I've been on that lake, back when I was stationed near there. Nice lake back then.

Unknown said...

Hey Demeur--
This post is right-on! Especially the last part.

Thanks for the kind words over at Jim's site. The situation in that region of the world frustrates me to no end.

The solution (in theory) is really quite simple: The erasion of poverty. But the avaristic mindset of America will not allow that to happen. Altruism is practically dead in America. In this country, philanthropy only comes about when one's own gluttonous lusts are being satiated, and even then, it is minimal at best.

I've read over your last several posts and like what I read. I'm adding your site to my blogroll and will be back often. :)