Saturday, June 18, 2011

It's Saturday morning cartoons


So what was your favorite? With a bowl of your favorite cereal lounging on the rug as close as you could get. Has the TV warmed up yet?
And there is the Looney Toons of my mind. The odd connections one goes through when half awake in the morning. The news shows touting the latest republican non accomplishments. The thought of Sarah Palin and her manner of thinking sneaked into the grey matter. How she tried to rewrite history of Paul Revere. That got me to thinking about how they'd love nothing better to erase Jefferson from the American presidential line. Which got me to thinking of Jefferson. I've been to Monticello a couple of times. The one thing I remember is his cool rooms. No not that they were cool as in hip but cool to preserve fruits and veggies. It could be 95 degrees outside and 50 or 60 inside. A big help in a time sans the latest ice box. How far we've come since the days of underground storage. Only those with lots of loot could afford such an arrangement. Then came the fruit cellar. That was the poor mans' cool room. A small closet in the basement with no windows buried in the earth. We had two such rooms in the last two places I've lived but that was many years ago. Going down there was kind of creepy especially as a kid and definitely scary after seeing the movie Psycho. But this was where Mom stored an abundance of canned goods and potatoes and such when bought on sale. I guess this was practical in an era when refrigerators were barely four feet tall and were lucky to hold more two days worth of food for a large family.
So where are we now? We have refers that are connected to the internet and will tell you when the need repair. I don't think I like that idea. I don't want a machine smarter than me. They are definitely smarter than Sarah Palin.

Okay back to the toons. I think that Road Runner is about to be caught.

5 comments:

Randal Graves said...

Wile E. Coyote would have gotten away with it if it wasn't for those meddling Acme products.

The Blog Fodder said...

We had a hole in the ground under the house for a cool room for vegetables and such. My little brother used to go down and have conversations with the gecko lizards. We didn't have Saturday morning cartoons. Bugs Bunny was Saturday afternoon at 4:30 when we were usually outside working.

BBC said...

I never watched much TV or toons when growing up, us kids wasn't allowed to watch the TV when the parents wasn't home so I only saw programs at other kids homes when there.

Glen was big on toons and the Mickey Mouse Club so I went there when I could. As a young adult I really enjoyed the Road Runner.

BBC said...

Happy Fathers day to da dads.

S.W. Anderson said...

I was big on Bugs Bunny, Tweety and Sylvester and Daffy Duck as a little kids. As I got older I got a bigger kick out of Fractured Fairy Tales, Boris & Natasha, from Rocky & His Friends, and Wile Coyote.