Sunday, February 27, 2011

Nisqually quake 10 years later


Not quite fresh in my mind but I do remember where I was when it hit. We were doing a floor job in a residential in Tacoma. We had just set up a full containment and donned the moon suit and PAPR respirators and were about to rip out an asbestos kitchen floor when all of a sudden the whole house felt like somebody had lifted it up by 2 feet the dropped it. Then the shaking began. My coworker suggested I at least step in the doorway for protection. We peered out the load out flap to see the car in the driveway move forward and back about 5 feet per shake. This lasted for about twenty or thirty seconds. The supervisor hollered to hold tight until the shaking stopped. We finished the job and I drove the truck back to the shop. The trip back was eerie to say the least. There was almost no traffic on the road even at 4 o'clock in the afternoon the start of rush hour. Tuning the radio stations gave very little info as to the damage. But when I got back to the shop all the owners and estimators were rushing around. I said "what's going on"? They said they were busy rounding up work. Nothing like making hay while the sun shines or something like that at least for a haz mat company.

Yes we did get quite a few jobs from that quake and I think it was a bit of a wake up call to all the vulnerable buildings in the Puget Sound area. We dismantled the control tower at the airport, did numerous clean up jobs where asbestos fireproofing had fallen from structural beams and other various related jobs . I think with all the overtime it was more than enough to cover the cost of my new computer but working 14 hour days was no picnic.

There is a lot that can be done to lesson the damage. Nothing we can do will prevent all the destruction. Nature always wins in the end but we can make it survivable. A few thoughts on that:
1. Shut off your water there's 40 to 50 gallons of usable water in your hot water tank if it doesn't get contaminated.
2. Shut off the gas. It 's a simple valve near your meter. You turn it clockwise until it's indicator line is perpendicular to the pipe. Check it out before a disaster happens.
3. A good first aid kit is handy even without a disaster.
4. Don't try and use a charcoal grill indoors no matter how cold it is outside or with the windows open.
5. Assume that there will be no help for as long as five days after a quake. We saw that with New Orleans.

9 comments:

BBC said...

I'm all set better than most monkeys for a good shaker, not sure how my place will fare though, and pretty sure that Helen's home will get knocked off it's blocks, but I have back up living quarters so I think I'm sitting okay.

The day of that quake I was over in Forks and may not have noticed it were it not for the fact that the car was parked and started rocking.

I'm leaving for a few days again in about half an hour, keep things ship shape while I'm gone.

S.W. Anderson said...

I've experienced a few tremors, but that's all. Your advice is excellent, Demeur. Thanks.

The Blog Fodder said...

Are there any places that are actually free from earthquakes? New Zealand seemed like a politically safe place to live and they have earthquakes and volcanoes.

Demeur said...

Billy your like a cockroach you'll be around after everything's gone. Rockin in Forks you devil! hehehe

SW I keep forgetting where you live.

BF They even have quakes in the midwest from time to time so you're right. I think you'd have to live on an astroid to get away from them.

jmsjoin said...

You should be prepared for any disaster because you never know what might happen. Be prepared to deal with any eventuality that may happen in your area.

I just hears that a battleship is getting close to Libya and 2 carries within striking distance. Oh man! I am still pissed I have not heard a single word on this from China and Russia.

Anonymous said...

Sportgenic . http://www.oneghdhair.com "I get most of my clothes from JCrew," explains Edwin. north face This will be significant just in case you ought to get a mark out, if you take some control, or create staining from deodorant. ghd hair straightener australia As his popularity within the Las Vegas underground fashion scene grew, Jimi took a chance by developing a line of graphic tees, tribal T-shirts, floral skirts, and more. uggs canada This makes it come across as an American city with a European sensibility.

Anonymous said...

Ning . north face jackets on sale In Madison it was possible for students to spend more than they would to live in university housing, but there was also the opportunity to spend the same, or less, if s/he knew their options.. http://www.fitghdhair.com (Checkout pops up in a window on the site itself, similar to what 72Lux currently offers see screenshot below for an example).. ghd hair straightener My stratospheric fever makes this bright day dim. http://www.morenorthface.com Returning Screening machine units using LCD? typically eat up cheaper location as opposed to those implementing CRT?,to put it accurately price somewhat more.

Anonymous said...

Amenities include full in-room kitchens, walk out balcony, room service, indoor and outdoor swimming pool, on-site fitness center and day spa, business center, dry cleaning and an on-site concierge. ghd australia There were all kinds of things that my sister had (she was older), so my parents wouldn buy me, because they thought we should share. ugg boots outlet Or step outside into the fresh April air to network with this year's top filmmakers and maybe shake a leg to some hip tunes. ghd hair straighteners uk There are of course many of these, but the downside to employing this strategy is that you still have to pay premium prices, and the variety could be even more limited as their hands are tied in terms of the dealership agreements they have with the suppliers. http://www.wellnorthface.com I have been anxious this might symbolize they applied in my neck from the guitar.

Anonymous said...

In addition, The Muscle Maximizer comes with a complete
9 week workout program for you to follow so you now have everything you
need to get started right away and achieve the level of fitness you''.

To find out if it is actually true and to understand better if Kyle Leon's system is generally for you or not, let's look into
a few of the benefits and drawbacks of the product.
Who is this Somanabolic Muscle Maximizer Training Software Designed For.


my webpage :: Somanabolic Muscle Maximizer Results