Sunday, January 31, 2010

What to do now?


I could get my supervisors card in about two weeks and then go for an auditor course the month after but I really need to get back to work. I'm sure Billy (BBC) likes those monthly checks we provide him from Social Security. Plus I'll have taxes coming up in April. Nothing like trying to squeeze blood out of a turnip.

Now for some energy tips:
1. Change your incandesant bulbs with CFLs you'll cut your lighting costs by 2/3rds.
2. Change your shower heads to low flow. The older low flow heads were bad and didn't work well. New ones can use as little as 1.5 gallons of water per minute saving both water and the energy used to heat it. Note: You may need to increase the temp. of your water heater a bit to compensate for the flow because when the flow is lowered there's a slight heat loss.
3. Put a timer on the water heater. Figure out what time of day you use the most water and set the timer to come on about an hour before then. Water heaters are one of the biggest energy users as they must be on 24/7. Don't forget the maintenance. Drain any sludge from the bottom of the tank once a year and check the pressure release valve. If your tank is old and the fittings are corroded consider replacing it as those maintenance items may not be able to be preformed. This will all be part of the weatherization program and I do think there's a ton of money to be saved.

More later until then keep your drums upright.

13 comments:

The Blog Fodder said...

CFLs cut lighting costs by 2/3 but you need a bank loan to buy them. They also contribute up to 10% of the heat in your house in cold weather. Electric costs go down. Heat costs go up. Can't win.

DILLIGAF said...

Keep the heating on all day when it's cold outside - the cats need to stay warm!!!

I think my carbon footprint must be a size 86 at least!!!!

Supervisor? Oh dear...you aren't going to be a manager are you?

er...Anon? Can I borrow a few thou then?......dickhead

Put a word veri thingy up. It'll stop those nobs.

Demeur said...

Fodder I haven't finished with all the tips. This is just the start. CFLs over here are nearly free. Ya want us to send you some? Is your electric system the same as here or is it that weird European voltage?

Dinners I only considered that because you have to take the supervisor course to get to the auditor course. Climbing the ladder to get to pencil pusher. All spam is deleted.

Vigilante said...

But, but, but none of these steps are time-savers, Demeur! They require time. They suck it up! I can't even find time to floss!

jmsjoin said...

I really wish you luck with that Turnip! Things sound pretty well up in the air right now but it is only temporary. We did an energy audit last year and updated 100% everything. What a difference. Good luck!

BBC said...

You bet I like those SS checks so get your ass back to work soon. But if you don't I'm not much worried about my SS going away, they'll just raise the national debt another trillion and keep sending them to me anyway. Or make magic figures with mirrors and smoke screens.

My lighting costs are zilch being either CFLs or LED. Shower? don't have one.

Put a timer on what water heater? Hey, what is the cost for a 220 timer?

Vigilante said...

Ah BBC. Get kicked out of Swiftspeech again?

BBC said...

Is your electric system the same as here or is it that weird European voltage?

That weird European voltage is just our 220 voltage and converters are cheap. I've never used one but knowing what I do about electricity I think I can safely say that it just pulls power off of one leg.

The other leg on our 110 systems is really just a ground.

Desktop computers sold here have a switch on the back of them so you can run them on 110 or 220 so you can use them about anywhere.

BBC said...

What I mean by that is, on our three prong 110 volt plugs here, two of them are grounds.

I don't know why we call it 110 volts anyway, it varies between 115 and 120 volts depending on the system and even how close to a transformer you are.

BBC said...

Ah BBC. Get kicked out of Swiftspeech again?

Heck no, she is an idiot and I haven't looked at her blog for some time. :-)

But women are going to fix things when they get the vote, ha ha ha

S.W. Anderson said...

I'm with you on Nos. 1 and 2. As for 3, I've never had any luck actually getting more than a small amount of calcium buildup out of the bottom of a water heater. A friend told me the way they're made now, you do better to leave them alone.

Randal Graves said...

Since I have my house outfitted with moon panels, I don't have these concerns.

everlighten said...

thanks for this informative blog post.

Custom Hang Tags
custom Baseball caps
custom tambourine