Friday, August 21, 2009

From fellow blogger Blog Fodder

Someone took exception to my use of “Christian Republican” as a derogatory term. Actually derogatory doesn’t even begin to cover how I feel about it. (Canadians can play along by substituting appropriate political party names).

Republicans claim to have a lock on Christianity. The only thing they have a lock on is hypocrisy.

They preach morals and family values but their personal track record says otherwise. They preach fiscal responsibility but spend tax money like there is no tomorrow. If you look at the record, the Republicans have gotten the USA into financial messes which the Democrats then have to sort out. Raegan-Clinton and now Bush-Obama are just the most recent. They don’t tax and spend, they just spend. They preach free enterprise but are firmly attached to the government teat for favourable legislation, big contracts and cash handouts. They preach against big government but expand it exponentially.

They are anti-poor, anti-sick, anti-“Coloured”, anti-women, anti-minority of any kind, anti-science, anti-education, anti-intellectual, anti-environmental stewardship. They are pro-violence, pro-guns, pro-war, pro-accumulation of wealth by fair means or foul, the latter being their only measure of personal value. They believe the wealth of a nation should not benefit the people of the nation, only a select few. Their social safety network can best be summed up as “I’m OK; f**k you!”

This may an acceptable political ideology and it certainly has its adherents but it is not Christian. It is the antithesis of everything Christianity stands for. They love to call the Democrats godless atheists, though Dems do a far better job of living true Christianity and I suspect they have as many or more actual Christians voting for them.

So if you want to call yourself a Christian Republican, that is your choice. But please don’t talk to me about your kind of “Christianity”. It sickens me.

Hat tip to Blog Fodder for leting me steal (borrow) this.

4 comments:

Jim Marquis said...

I'm perpetually amazed how little connection there seems to be between what Jesus taught and how the Republican party acts.

Holte Ender said...

If Jesus gave a speech to a hall full of republicans, they'd boo him off the stage.

The Blog Fodder said...

Demeur - thanks for the extra exposure of my ranting.. My blog isn't intended to be political but some days "I just can't take it any more".
JM and HE - You have it right.

Anonymous said...

I CAN'T TAKE IT ANYMORE!!!

Can't take what?

ANYTHING!!!!

I can't even take the word "Christianity" anymore!!!!

If anything is labeled, I lose the valve on my mental pressure cooker.